bwisegardening

Cultivating a Culture of Gardening™

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Why Didn't Anyone Tell Me That Heaven Was Somewhere Close to Lake Austin Spa Resort?

Nothing like a shaded hammock on a warm summer afternoon to call my name...

As I landed in Austin, Texas, about nine hours ago, the thought crossed my mind that I had never actually spoken to anyone in person about the speaking gig that I was heading toward. We'd had lots of emails and confirmations, and I'd looked up their information online - impressed by the Conde' Nast ratings and their online presence. But I had never actually spoken to or even met anyone from this resort and I started to get a little nervous. My fears were calmed a little by the fact that the limo driver they had scheduled was there waiting for me, with my name in his hands, as I descended the stairs to baggage claim, and fell away even more as we entered the drive into the Resort. 


The pathway to the spa was what I would have envisioned being like  Grecian bath house.

Shaded verdandas covered with vines

water features throughout the resort create a quiet ambience


The pathway to my room

Loved this funky flower - no idea what it is

There is a calming symmetry to the resort

with well tended trumpet vines to accent the trellised walkways.




 A few of my new friends along the way



Reflections through the library window (you can see my arm taking the picture!)




The place where I am giving the seminars - Lake Austin Spa Resort - is a total escape from reality. Right now I'm sitting on the charming porch of my accommodations after a delectable meal (with veggies grown from their garden) delivered t
o my room, listening to the sounds of late summer with the garden and river before me in the fading sunlight. Citronelle candles keep mosquitos somewhat at bay, a glass of wine and a riveting novel in hand after a day of travel and exploration - the only thing that awaits me is a deep bathtub with bathing salts, a lavender scented bedroom, and the gentle hum of cicadas to lull me to sleep. This is my kind of speaking gig.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At August 27, 2012 at 3:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a little piece of heaven!

 
At August 27, 2012 at 11:03 PM , Blogger Caroline said...

How nice - you're in my neck of the woods! Funny, I live in Austin and I've never been to the resort - jealous!

 
At August 30, 2012 at 7:03 PM , Anonymous Trisha Shirey said...

Fabulous photos with unique perspectives! Your "funky flower" is Bird of Paradise, Caesalpinia gilliesii.
Really enjoyed meeting you and sharing knowledge. You are an inspiration!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home