bwisegardening

Cultivating a Culture of Gardening™

Friday, August 27, 2010

Gardening Greatness at the Getty



First, we started our Getty tour with an sumptuous dinner at the Getty Restaurant. Oh my goodness- only because I knew my momma would kill me if she ever found out did I not pick my plate up and lick it. The food was THAT GOOD! But add in getting to know in real life my horticulture twitter buddies Annie Haven, Adriana Martinez, and Fern Richardson
and the evening was already a shoe-in for a great gardening event. The Getty gardens were cool (as in temperature was in the upper 50s - I had to buy a great looking hoodie from the gift shop) and crowded (lots of folks wanting that late afternoon sun for prime photo ops).
We headed to the tram and saw soft shades of purple Verbena bonaris, silver artemesia, and the white or blue agapanthas flowers.

Walking up to the gardens we had space ships from the planet Horticulturon that greeted us.


Their occupants as sweet as their scents - Alyssum, a Boltonia type plant, and rosemary.And got to glimpse some of that famous California glorious sunset.
Beds filled will succulents, euphorbia, variegated fuschia, wonderful black mondo grass (Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Nigrescens), and a whole assortment of delightful but unfortunately untagged plants. Between the four of us we were able able to figure out most of the plant varieties but PLEASE, Getty Garden Staff, TAG YOUR PLANTS. Inquiring minds want to know.


One of the most interesting displays I saw was this unique trellis that housed Bouganvillae forming a floral tepee.

Thought this Russelia equisetiformis - Coral Plant was pretty awesome. Fern and I were both snapping pics of all these wonderful colors (as was this unknown co-photographer). Dahlias and Heliotrope hogged the camera for a while.

But then we came to the circle garden. Wow. Massive Brugmansia trees, a circle of Variegated Garlic Tulbaghia violacea, a circle of what I think was Vera Jamison Sedum, and a moat surrounding Bouganvillae hedges (I couldn't quite tell so far away).
The Tibouchina was incredible.The brugmansia magical and fragrant in the evening.And several plants that grabbed my attention but I have no idea what they were.Kangaroo Paws Anigozanthos are pretty neat lookingAs is the quirky looking Sea Holly Eryngium
But don't worry about dressing up for all these fancy plantings. Bow ties provided for those underdressed :). Bow Tie Vine Dalechampia

Labels:

10 Comments:

At August 28, 2010 at 10:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

First time visitor to your site. The images were beautiful and I am glad you posted your visit to the Getty gardens. I will probably never see this garden, so it was great to be taken along for the ride.

 
At September 2, 2010 at 6:56 AM , Blogger Commonweeder said...

The Getty gardens are amazing, and you have taken the best photos. I remember seeing photos in a glossy magazine once and thinking who would want to see those gardens - but now I wish I could have joined you. For the conversation, too.

 
At September 2, 2010 at 10:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my goals in life is to visit the Getty. I've wanted to ever since Victory Garden did a show from there. I love it all. Thanks for letting me see it virtually again. Are you going to Dallas?

 
At September 5, 2010 at 5:20 PM , Blogger Heidi@AwesomeHerbs said...

wow, the Bouganvillae trellis is pretty incredible. Nice photos. Looks like you all had a great time.

 
At September 8, 2010 at 8:32 PM , Anonymous Dave@TheHomeGarden said...

Beautiful displays and pictures! Some very cool ideas. I like the space ship planters! ;)

 
At September 9, 2010 at 1:31 AM , Blogger Stone Art's Blog said...

Very nice, those floral tepee trellis are pretty amazing indeed

 
At September 10, 2010 at 8:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What can I say but WOW! Beautiful page and flowers.

 
At October 1, 2010 at 10:33 AM , Blogger Jeannette said...

I think the little blue pics flowers near the end are in the veronica family.
Lovely of you to share so much. Thank you. You might like one of my post about a trip to a succulent garden. I think I do share label names.

 
At October 20, 2011 at 3:31 AM , Anonymous Bronze Statuary said...

Nice landscape. Great photos!

 
At October 20, 2011 at 1:15 PM , Anonymous Gardening Containers said...

these are quite good flowers!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home