bwisegardening

Cultivating a Culture of Gardening™

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Color My World


Momma raised me to be a southern lady. She made sure I always wore a slip, she taught me to say, "Yes sir or yes mam", sit with proper posture and always use good manners. She taught me to respect my elders, to never never speak about bawdy things but to speak and act gracefully, to not complain about things I can't change, to always wear lipstick, and to err on the side of being over-dressed in social settings but to never be flashy or bring attention to myself. Now this is where I might have just caused her some polite palpitations and even made her brow glisten with fret. I love color. I like bright, bold, frilly, screaming "Look at me!" color. Which may be why I became a gardener. You see, as proper as I was expected to be and appear, a southern woman could create a garden as brassy and colorful as Aunt Bernice (who we never spoke about around the menfolk.)
Now the only reason I even allow this much self-revelation, which I'm sure is making Momma quite mortified, is to explain why the Garden Walk in Buffalo, NY just made me giddy. There was color in the plants, color in the painted window boxes, bright bold painted houses, and very colorful personalities. So just scroll down and enjoy the riot of color and don't you even worry about blushin'.
I'm thinking this pink house might be demure enough for Momma.


My new friends Helen Yoest and Lisa Gustavson wearing their polite white, brown, and black so that the homes get all the attention.

Two of the colorful characters from the Buffalo trip were sisters Sarah and Helen who kept me entertained with their quick wit and clever dialog.
I spy Plectranthus, Calibrachoa, Coleus, Laurentia, Strobilanthes, Dahlia, Impatiens
These folks have Coleus and they're not afraid to use it!

Labels:

6 Comments:

At July 21, 2010 at 11:19 PM , Blogger Kylee Baumle said...

Hey Barbara, my mama taught me those same things and we're quite a bit north of the Mason-Dixon Line! LOL!

I'm with you, though. I just loved the bold colors used in the paint colors of their homes. I loved the yellow one! But I also loved the one that was green that had tomato red and yellow trim. Yum!

 
At July 21, 2010 at 11:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stunning pictures Barbara! Thank you so much for taking me along with you on your garden tour.
Those were my kind of gardens. Never shy with color- that's me too!
A lady you are and a lady you will always be because you have a generous spirit and show us these wonderful places!

 
At July 22, 2010 at 12:08 AM , Blogger That Bloomin' Garden said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time. The gardens are absolutely beautiful! I love the color on the homes.

 
At July 23, 2010 at 12:00 AM , Blogger Anna/Flowergardengirl said...

Loved how you wrote up the lead in---I'm a bad southern girl too--Let's just scream color!!

 
At July 24, 2010 at 3:04 PM , Blogger Cherrie McKenzie said...

I really love the pictures and must agree with some of the other posters that the colors are so vibrant!

 
At July 24, 2010 at 3:07 PM , Blogger Sudeep said...

Simply awesome....Thanks for sharing..

http://sudee4u.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home